Sunday, September 23, 2012

Veg of the Week

...Good advice.

I'm not actually blogging about a specific food or recipe this week. Instead, I want to share some advice I've heard throughout the week relating to food, weight, attitude, etc.

In keeping up with the "healthy habits" and training for the half marathon (which is October 21st...eek!) I've been listening to some Jillian Michael's podcasts. I've heard some advice on these podcasts that are worth sharing.

Before I share them, I want to preface them with the clarification that these have most likely stuck with me because I'm not very good at taking these bits of advice! Ha. Okee dokee...here are 3 of the tidbits I have seen as eye openers:

FAT doesn't make you "fat." CALORIES make you "fat." This is important when trying to eat healthy. Things like avocado, olive oil, and peanuts may have a higher fat content than other foods, but they do a lot of good for your health and body. At the end of the day, being healthy is what's important, and those who are trying to lose weight may attempt to cut all fat out of their diets, but we all need fat in our diets! It's all about eating the healthier fats that are available to us :)

Resentment is like a person taking poison and expecting it to kill someone else.  Basically, you are only hurting yourself if you hold on to resentment. I really like this analogy. It can be easy to hold on to negative feelings, but it does harm to you more so than anyone else.

Food should never be used as a reward for anything. This also stuck with me, because I LOVE to reward myself with big meals for all sorts of things. I think it's better instead to reward an accomplishment by celebrating with friends, family, or doing an activity you love like a massage, even a day to do only what you want, if you've accomplished something really great :)

I'm definitely no pro when it comes to always eating healthy or always having a positive attitude, but that's all the more reason to acknowledge these topics.

Happy Health & Fall, ~Anna (&The Pooches)

3 comments:

  1. My mom thinks that is sooo true!
    Specially that of rewarding yourself for anything!
    Haaaa!
    She makes lots of desserts every weekend... but she gives them to her friends! She is silly!
    Take care
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to make desserts! But When I make them Im not too successful in giving them away lol

      Delete
  2. You are so right. The biggest component of losing weight is not what goes on with the latest diet...it's what goes on in our heads.

    ReplyDelete