Sunday, September 2, 2012

Veg of the Week

 
...overdue. To be completely honest, I fell off the healthy eating wagon for a while. Now, I still maintained my exclusively vegetarian and vegan eating...I just wasn't eating healthy options. I noticed that when the healthy eating went away, it took my motivation, positive attitude, and energy along with it. And so began the cycle of needing the energy and motivation that healthy eating and exercise give you in order to be able to exercise and eat healthy. Hmpf. Luckily, a few things happened to jolt me back into where I need to be. First...my personal trainer friend who looks fabulous asked me to be in her wedding. This may be a frivolous reason to get back into my healthy habits, but... I want to look good if I'm going to be in a wedding! ;) The other helpful event was that a friend of mine is training for a half marathon. It got me thinking about when I ran one in 2010, and I started exercising. So now I'M signed up for a half marathon, on Oct 21, 2012!
Let me just say my mood is great, and I am getting that amazing internal sense of happiness and motivation back. As hard as it is to keep up with healthy habits, eating healthy and exercising really is essential to live the best life you can. And for me, eating more and more vegan foods makes me feel that much better. It feels like...eating with a purpose. I will look back to this blog post if I start to lose my motivation. 
 
Today I just want to share with you my lunch. I find my craving today peculiar... Although I am the type of person who would be content with summer weather all year- round, my appetite seems to be craving all that is Fall...
 
I couldn't resist a warm bowl of tomato-basil soup and a vegan grilled "cheese" sandwich.
 
The tomato basil soup was just a simple canned soup...200 calories for the whole can. The catch with tomato soup is that if its "Creamy" tomato, it can go up in calories by a lot.
 
For my sandwich, I used 100% whole grain bread, earth balance vegan butter, and Daiya brand vegan "cheese." I put a layer of spinach between the Daiya, because spinach is amazing.
 
 
If you look closely, you'll see the dog salt/pepper shaker.
No post is complete without dogs in it! :)
 
 I love this meal because not only is it good, it's fun to eat!
Perfect for dipping... mmm.
 
 
What vegan meals have you tried lately?
Are you ready for fall?
 
~Riding the healthy habits wagon, -Anna (&The Pooches)
 

4 comments:

  1. My mom had a big bowl of salad today... but she likes to add chicken to it!
    And I had veggies for lunch too!
    Your tomato soup looks yummy!
    Kisses and hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a healthy lunch! Did you get any, Lorenza?

      Delete
  2. That looks delicious! Good luck with getting back on track. I certainly need to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did Chad ever come home so the dog would be happy....Grilled cheese looked good, and the soup....Where's my spaghetti? lol We are moved what a mess things are....Love youxxoo

    ReplyDelete