Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Veg of the Week


...long overdue!
I've been eating a lot of the same things I have already blogged about on here before. Between that and just adjusting to my still somewhat new work schedule, Veg of the Week has been lacking.
I think I've posted about these chocolate cupcakes with almond buttercream icing before but...they are SO good I have to talk about them again. This is only the second time I've made them because the first time I made them I couldn't stop myself from eating 4 at once, which resulted in a big stomach ache :)
Messy cocoa powder and flour :)
These cupcakes and the icing are vegan. They are also made from scratch, which is fun to me because it feels like art!
The recipe is pretty easy. Like I said, I've posted it on here before, so I'll just give you the site to the original link on Ohsheglows.com. It's http://ohsheglows.com/2011/03/08/vegan-chocolate-cupcakes-with-vanilla-almond-frosting-and-raspberry-glaze/
Naked cupcakes!
I bought a very cheap, very non-Kitchen Aide stand mixer. It works for now. But one day... I WILL have my own Kitchen Aide stand mixer, maybe even a custom one!
Icing, mixer, and my very beat-up print-out of the recipe.
Fluffy icing! It was slightly hard to spread smoothly so I think next time I'll add a little more almond milk. The recipe stated 1.5-2 tbsp, and I did about 1.5.
Cute little cupcake all dressed up <3
*burp*
Next I made these fancy little things I found at the store today:
Eggplant fries! I saw a dish with battered eggplant at Olive Garden once...I didn't get it, but have wondered what battered eggplant would taste like ever since.
you just follow the directions on the bag... preheat oven to 400 degrees... lay fries out on a pan...bake for about 18min, turning once.
And...EAT!
I love ketchup.
These were pretty good. I don't find myself feeling like I've been missing out by not trying this sooner, but they definitely weren't bad. Anything I can dip in ketchup is good by me. Plus, I like that it's a twist on the traditional french fry and you don't get just one starchy vegetable- instead you get a mixture of flavors. So it's a fun change-up from the regular french fry.
What new recipes have you tried lately??
Hoping your week if full of flava! ~Anna (&The Pooches)

3 comments:

  1. I would like the eggplant fries, I bet. I haven't baked from scratch in like... years, no lie. So sad. Maybe one day you will motivate me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure they look delicious!
    My mom dreams with a Kitchen-Aid too!
    One day... one day...
    Take care
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cupcakes look absolutely delish! Not so sure about the fries...

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete