Sunday, February 12, 2012

Veg of the Week


...Muesli!

I was offered a new job a few weeks ago (YEA!) and took myself out to breakfast to celebrate.
I had heard of Muesli but didn't really know what it was. I saw it on the menu at the restaurant I went to, and thought it sounded good, so I ordered it!
(NOTE: I AM STARTING MY NEW JOB TOMORROW AND IT'S A BIG DEAL FOR ME! JUST SAYIN'....WISH ME LUCK...OR PRAY...OR WHATEVER!)

Doesn't it look so yummy?! The served it with vanilla yogurt.

After trying it, I couldn't wait to eat it again. So I looked around at the grocery store, and found Dorset brand cereals. Check them out here: http://www.dorsetcereals.co.uk/mueslis/

Once that was all gone, I wanted to try to make some because I knew I had a lot of the ingredients on hand. I found an easy recipe online, here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/muesli

Here's how easy their recipe is:

4 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ (I didn't have this so I just left it out)
1/2 cup wheat bran (I didn't have this either! So I used ground flax seed)
1/2 cup oat bran
1 cup raisins (I did a half cup of raisins and a half cup of dried cranberries)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I did a mix of cashews, pecans, and almonds)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds (I didn't have these so I used Chia seeds!)
Mix it all up and store in an airtight container!
Then when you eat it, add in fresh fruit. I added many different fruits when I ate it. I like to eat this best with almond milk poured over it. I tried it with soy yogurt and then realized the soy yogurt still had dairy in it. FAIL. (note- read the labels if you want to try something non-dairy!)
Muesli with blueberries and strawberries...



8 comments:

  1. Yea! I was having some trouble with blogger, not sure what's going on with it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DELICIOUS! I love Muesli... I hadn't ever had it until I was in Germany for a summer. It's super popular there. Those photos make me want to go make some too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! That looks super dee-lish! My dad eats granola every morning and he shares a little bit with us and I luvs it. So I think I would likes Muesli, too!

    And my paws are crossed SUPER DUPER tight for your new job. I know you're just gonna be PAWSOME!

    Wiggles & Wags,
    Mayzie

    PeeS. We tagged you in our bloggie today. Come see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx fur crossing ur paws the first day went great! I'm gonna come check out ur post now!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the new job! Hope the first 2 days were good. That muesli looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks these last few days have gone really well! I'm so busy though I cannot wait til the weekend so I can catch up on everyone's comments and everyone's blogs!!

    ReplyDelete