Sunday, January 22, 2012

Veg of the Week


...From Asian-Inspired to Italian.
After last week's excess of desserts, I was craving something light yet filling. I was thinking something like Lo Mein or Pad Thai maybe, but the thought of the heavy noodles just didn't sound good! So, I ended up making my own version of something!
Handful or two of spinach
1/3 cup of brown rice
Steamed Asian blend veggies, as much as you want!
One Quorn brand veggie fillet, baked per instructions with a tablespoon of Pad Thai sauce and a couple tablespoons of water spread over it. (I made a "boat" with foil so the liquid would stay with the fillet and not spread all over a pan).
Layer all onto your plate is in the pic, and drizzle two tablespoons of Pad Thai sauce over the dish (or you could use soy sauce, sweet and sour sauce, etc.).
Yum!
The other dish I am excited to tell you about is something I saw on a TV show called "The Chew."
They called it a Pizza Roll. It's kind of like a Stromboli but better. The link to the recipe is here: http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/Michael-Symon-Pizza-Roll
But for the dough part, I used a pizza dough recipe and tutorial that I found on Oh She Glows.com, because I wanted whole wheat pizza dough: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/08/02/how-to-make-homemade-pizza-dough/
So I started with the dough recipe..mixing:
1 tsp sugar
1.5 cups of warm water at 110 degrees F
1 tbsp dry yeast
Waiting for my water to be the right temp...
My yeast mixture after about 15 minutes and letting it proof. You don't really have to wait that long, but I like to make extra sure my yeast is not dead because that happens a lot with me lol:
Once it proofs, you add in 1 tbsp of olive oil, then 2 cups of whole wheat flour and 1 cup of all purpose flour. Mix all that stuff up, put 1/2 cup all purpose flour on a surface to knead on, and knead your dough for a solid 10 minutes, til it seems nice and smooth and wants to stay in a ball. Here's my first batch of dough:
I made twice the dough recipe because there were going to be several people at the house. But, me and yeast don't usually get along- I can never get it to work in recipes, it doesn't rise half the time...and I didn't think the first dough ball looked very convincing. So I made a second double batch of the dough recipe while the first one was rising...
And my dough batch number 1 grew so big! I was excited that it worked!
Yeast proofed for batch number 2:
Dough ball after kneading, number 2. Now that's a pretty ball of dough! :)
More big dough!
Then, according to the dough recipe, you separate it into two balls (or 4 if you double the batch) and let these rise, uncovered, for 45 minutes on a lightly floured surface.
Lots of pretty dough balls!
I think there was something mentioned about wearing an apron? Oops...
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F!
After your 45 minutes of letting the balls rise, now is the time to start focusing on the Pizza Roll recipe (starting at step #5 on their site).
Roll out a ball of the dough in a 10in x 11in square:
Then add a little olive oil mixed with garlic powder (1/4th tsp + 6tbsp of olive oil is a good ratio, and you can just use a tablespoon or two on each of your flattened dough balls).
Spread at least 3 tbsp of pizza sauce over the dough. (I found myself wanting to taste more of that flavor)
Then add about a 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese. I used a vegan brand, and I think next time I would do a 1/4 cup vegan mozzarella and 1/4 cup of Daiya brand cheddar, to add more flavor.
Then add a sprinkle of cheese and any other seasoning you like, and add a couple sprinkles of more cheese over that. Then add about 16 vegan pepperonis. (I think the brand I bought is vegan-it is definitely vegetarian though-I forgot to read the back of the packaging closely. It's a learning process to remember to do that all the time!).
Add 5-7 fresh basil leaves down the middle of the dough now.
Here's what it'll look like!
I added mushrooms to mine, so add any other topping you might like! Then roll it all up, starting with the side closest to you. Pinch the seam and tuck the ends under. Place on a baking sheet that has oiled parchment paper on it:
Drizzle with a little of your garlic olive oil mixture, some pepper and crushed red pepper, and cheese. Cut 3 slits in the top.
Bake for 25-30 minutes at 375 degrees F.
While you're waiting, if you live in a place that's cold in the winter, like us, drink warm tea in a cute wintery cup.
Take your golden-brown yummy goodness out of the oven. Try to wait a few minutes before stuffing your face so you don't burn yourself :)
I made one with mushrooms and one without, so I had to try some of each of course!
I love the mixture of flavors. The only changes I would make is that I was hesitant to use too much of the olive oil and garlic because I didn't want it to be too strong, and I ended up not being able to taste it much at all. So the amount I mentioned above it more than what I had used. I also, as mentioned above, would use the mixture of the two kinds of cheese. I had never had the type of vegan mozzarella I tried with this, but it seemed just a little bland. I think using the cheddar style and mozzarella style together would make it better.
I am going to have leftovers for the foreseeable future. Of course the one time I plan on my yeast-rising-attempt to fail by making a crapload of dough, both batches work and I have more dough than I know what to do with! Oh well, I must say, it was fun :) and so yummy. And Veg. Try this recipe and take a huge bite!
This took me a little over 4 hours since the dough takes some time to rise, and since I had so much dough that I had to do something with, but it was well worth it. If you follow the dough recipe from The Chew's website that is included with the Pizza Roll recipe, it sounds like it would save some time, because you can do it the night before and refrigerate it overnight.
~Having fun with vegan options and eating well, -Anna (&The Pooches)

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if there is a way I can make my mom stop drooling!
    Thanks for sharing them!
    Happy Sunday!
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Lorenza, i guess you'll have to figure out how to make one of these foods for her! :)

      Delete
  2. Woof! Woof! What a great idea ... a PIZZA roll. Mom made me some bite size pizza doggie treats last week. FYI: I co host a Tasty Tuesday Blog HOP. Make sure add this url post on the HOP this coming Tuesday. For more info you can check my blog under Dog Recipes you'll see the Tasty Tuesday Blog Hop badge ... yes we accept human recipes.
    Lots of Golden Thanks for sharing your recipes. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasty Tuesday sounds fun, I'll check it out! I've been wanting to make some doggy treats! Thanks for sharing :)

      Delete