Friday, January 13, 2012

Veg of the Week



...Desserts.

First and foremost, Shadow would like you to know that her favorite dessert is cupcakes... and if there aren't any of those, a cupcake rug is quite enjoyable too...



She loves the cupcake rugs from Target.



.....



Really. Loves them.



The first dessert I am excited about sharing is a no-bake peanut butter chocolate pie from the cookbook "The Joy of Vegan Baking."
(image found using Google image search)
I don't think I can really post the recipe on here since it's from a book that is supposed to earn profit from the recipes. But I can tell you that the pie consists of chocolate chips...tofu...peanut butter...non dairy milk.... all tossed into a food processor! Pretty cool and easy. And you just make your own crust, which is also in the cookbook. You can buy the book on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Vegan-Baking-Compassionate-Traditional/dp/1592332803
It's worth buying for sure, especially for the used price! I haven't made a dessert from it that I didn't like.
The crust has graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and non dairy butter in it. I think I could eat graham cracker crust plain!
I will say, be careful not to overcook your crust. I cooked it a little longer than i should have. It wasn't burned at all, just a little harder than I like it. I overcooked it because I was afraid it wouldn't be solid/firm enough....then it ended up being too firm. Not a big deal, but, lesson learned!
After the crust is ready, you just put in the filling, top it with what you want, and chill for 2 hours!
My chocolate chip peace sign does not have straight lines, it's bugging me now!
After chilling, enjoy the thick, smooth, peanut buttery chocolate taste of this amazing treat!
Mmmmm.
Now that your mouth is watering, click on the Amazon link and get yourself a great cookbook!
The second dessert I enjoyed this week was Strawberry Oat Squares/ granola bars. The first ones I made were Strawberry, from Oh She Glows. Recipe is here: http://ohsheglows.com/recipage/?recipe_id=6001725
You make some homemade strawberry jam as part of the recipe...
And then do all the other stuff that the recipe tells you to at that link above and eat something that looks amazing, like this!:
Chad really liked them, but didn't eat the top part because he's just not a fan of strawberries. He requested that I should figure out a way to make something similar but with a cinnamon-coffee cake feel to it. We brainstormed for a bit, and then I researched a few different possibilities. The results were amazing. I ended up with what can only be described as:
Cinnamon Roll Granola Bars!
Here's what you do. Make the oat square batter from the OhSheGlows.com recipe link above. I made this batter, but with some minor adjustments to cut out a few calories :) Here's Oh She Glows batter recipe, but with my changes:

1.5 cups regular oats
1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour + 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup Splenda Brown Sugar blend (in grocery baking isle. or use regular brown sugar)
1 chia egg (1 tbsp chia seeds+ 4 tbsp warm water, mixed)
5 tbsp earth balance + 5 tbsp applesauce
1/4 cup lite maple syrup (not sugar free)
2 tbsp almond milk (unflavored)
+
Don't forget to Preheat your oven!: 350 degrees. Line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper and lightly oil. (I had to use a round 9inch diameter pan because I didn't have a square one, ha!).
Mix the chia egg and set aside.
Mix the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Then take out 1/2 cup of this dry ingredients mixture and throw away or do something else with it (the original recipe sprinkles this on top but I have a cinnamon mixture to sprinkle on top).
In a separate bowl, you will mix the wet ingredients: Melt the earth balance and mix it with the applesauce before you add it to your "wet ingredients" bowl. Add in the maple syrup, almond milk, and chia egg. Stir until combined.
Combine your wet and dry ingredients. Try not to eat the batter before you're finished making this :)
Then, put about half of the batter in the pan, so that there is a solid bottom layer:
Then, in a small bowl, mix together the "cinnamon roll filling." Mix:
1/2 tbsp melted earth balance
2 tbsp applesauce
1/2 cup Splenda Brown Sugar blend (or regular brown sugar)
1/4 cup pecans chopped finely in food processor
1 tsp cinnamon
Spread over top of your batter bottom. I added dried cranberries over half of mine too, because I was craving them whereas Chad was not! Should look something like this:
Then take the remaining batter and spread over top. Then grab a small bowl and mix together your topping. Mix:
1/2-1 tsp cinnamon, to taste
1 1/4 tablespoon Splenda Brown sugar blend (or reg brown sugar)
A pinch of regular oats, to taste. Again, I also added a few dried cranberries on top so I would remember which half had cranberries! Should look something like this:
Then place in your preheated oven. The batter recipe from Oh She Glows that inspired this says to bake it for about 30 minutes, but, in my oven at least, I had to bake it for closer to 45 minutes. Just keep an eye on it ;)
When it's done, the edges are firm and golden-looking, and the cinnamon sugar topping is crispy and sweet. Yum! :
Let it cool for about 45 minutes. Then cut into squares. (Store extra in fridge).
The cinnamon roll type filling explodes with flavor and is seriously irresistible. I am a novice baker, so I am very excited that I created this adaption in my head! It's inspiring to read cook books and recipe blogs. The above pic of the square is the one with the cranberries, but I actually liked the ones without the cranberries better, ha!
The best part of everything in this Veg of the Week- it's all VEGAN! YEA!
I hope you all check out "The Joy of Vegan Baking," "Oh She Glows," and try these recipes. I especially hope you try the one that me and Chad got to express our own creativity in!
~Enjoying Veg of the Week Desserts, -Anna (& The Pooches)

2 comments:

  1. Mom is a vegetarian, & these deserts look so yummy!

    XOXO ~ Cape Cod Crew

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh goodness we are STARVING now!!

    ReplyDelete