Friday, August 20, 2010

Pictures Come With Stories

Hey blog fam! I have managed to get some pics uploaded onto here, just had to make them a little smaller. I have been busy this summer, going to grad classes, doing my internship, and trying to work part time too. I'm also trying to do my first half marathon, so excited about that one!



Do you remember Brutus from http://This post... ? He is doing well at my grandparents, he seems really happy. They have cats, but no dogs, so Brutus just has a bunch of feline friends. He sleeps with them (the cats and the grandparents, ha!). I can't remember everything I wrote about Brutus in that other post, so sorry if I repeat anything here, but he's just such an interesting case. My dad and step mom were driving down a small back road around town and just happened to see Brutus walking along and he seemed lost (no houses around, no collar,etc). So my dad pulls over, opens the car door...and Brutus just jumps in the car like he had been expecting them or something, ha.
My parents put up so many signs in our area and surrounding towns. They got so many calls, and it hurt a little more every time my dad had to tell someone it wasn't their dog he had found. I think I wrote before that they even called vets, and I told the story about how we found out his name, so I won't repeat that. Brutus wasn't micro chipped either. Weeks passed and his owners never surfaced. We think he must have been dumped, but can't understand why. While he was at our house he never once had an accident inside, never chewed anything up, never had one behavior that err.."uneducated dog owners" may typically give a dog up for. He does show timid behavior a lot though, always seems to be a little hyperaroused (not hyper, not at all, but just really aware and wary of surroundings), so the only conclusion that makes sense is that he was a wonderful soul who was mistreated. But, he's in a great place now.


This is Brutus with his kitty friend Tigger. Tigger is about 11 or 12 years old. I remember when my grandparents rescued her. She was outside with a probable litter mate. They were small little kittens, and for weeks when they were first brought them into the house they would barely come out from under furniture. I, the adolescent animal lover that I was, spent what seemed like hours just tossing a string under the couch or bed she was hiding under, and eventually was able to show her that us two-leggers aren't so bad. By playing with the string each day she got more and more comfortable getting close to coming out from under the furniture, and just made progress from there as we played with the string! For years she would never have thought of getting on anyones lap, but with all the love she gets she has come around! My family is full of "animal lovers," and I don't know what science says about this, but I think I was passed the gene :)


Here is Brutus with Midnight. Midnight is probably around 13-14 years old. When I look at Midnight, I am nostalgic for childhood. I always see the same scene when I look at her: I remember being younger, and I see me and my grandparents preparing for the new year. It was New Year's Eve, I was cutting up construction paper into confetti, my grandma was getting pans to bang together, and Midnight sat at the glass front door just looking out, as she always seemed to do. (All of my grandma's cats were rescued from outside near her home, either injured, pregnant, or some other bad situation they were in). When Midnight was turned into an inside kitty, it seemed like she always kept a little love for the outside. I just remember thinking how pretty she looked while she looked out the window, and although she doesn't do it anymore, that's still how I see her.

I know this is a dog blog, but I have been wanting to blog for a while and I just like those pictures. So they seemed like the ones I should use!

Shadow says she misses being in the spotlight, so she made me take this picture!:



Hopefully we'll be logging on again soon!

2 comments:

  1. He is such a sweet looking dog. I love the happy ending :)

    Don't forget, we moved to http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kari in WeHo- He is so sweet, just gentle and laid back :) Thanks for the update on your move i have been out of the loop!

    ReplyDelete