Saturday, August 28, 2010

Can Dogs Have PTSD?

If you didn't already know, I guess you could call me a "mental health professional." I was at a conference today regarding PTSD (Post traumatic stress disorder) and lots of other related stuff. At one point in the talk, the idea that shelter dogs have PTSD (or some doggy equivalent) was laughed at and waved off as an insignificant "muddy" topic. I was not a part of this verbal back-and-forth, because I have a strong opinion about animals, especially dogs, who are abused, neglected, etc., and how it can effect them, and frankly I guess I didn't have the guts to disrupt the conference because it was not an animal-related conference and this was really a more conversational comment that turned into a brief "debate." (I'm disappointed in myself, lol). I'm sure everyone who reads my blog knows which way I lean in regards to this. I'm not going to spend the next 2 hours looking up data to support that dogs are really more than just objects (GASP!), and I won't waste time defining PTSD on here unless you all want a more detailed post about this. My question simply is, what are your thoughts? What have you read out there to support our furry friends who have been affected by traumatic events in their lives? I'd love to see what you've got and what you think!!

4 comments:

  1. There's plenty of research out there that proves many kinds of animals -- dogs, horses and elephants among them -- can and do get PTSD. This is not a controversial or laughable topic. It's scientifically proven truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you can see why I felt the need to blog about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you see the recent article about this? Sadly, you are right...

    ReplyDelete
  4. No I havent seen the article...I will have to look it up!

    ReplyDelete