Wednesday, May 27, 2009

STOP JINXING ME!

PLEASE?

Besides having Monday off, this week has been a bit unusual. Does karma count for things like having too much fun on your day off? I think so!

Yesterday, a friend of mine tells me this gut wrenching story about beetles. She saw a beetle in her house with a head the size of a dime. She figured it was just a fluke because it was some kind of tree beetle. Then, she goes to pull some change out of the bottom of her purse and instead of pulling out a dime pulls out a head of the same kind of beetle! The other beetle parts were strewn around her purse! The same night, I’m in my bathroom and there are TWO, not one, but -TWO- big nasty disgusting bugs in there with me- one a spider, the other some kind of beetle. Bugs give me the creeps because they can be anywhere and they’re small enough that you won’t know until they scare the h*ll out of you- Like, for example, finding them in your purse! *Shivers* I still have that creepy-crawly feeling. I made sure to yell at my friend for jinxing me with her story :)

Then last night, I’m doing one of my favorite things, ya know, reading up on the blogs, and two different blogs wrote about injured birds in some way or another…Well, guess what? I have a bird… He’s a really cute Quaker Parrot and I got him out to visit today. We usually have visiting time in the bathroom (it’s a big enough bathroom for him to fly in) to keep him away from the dogs and other bigger parrot in the house. Meet Ozzy:



He has a slight attitude..see the way he cocks his head at me?



Besides his tendency to be moody, he looks pretty healthy, right?



WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so worried right now. This was my first time taking pictures of him with my new camera, and while I'm snapping pics I notice something looks funny on what I consider his little birdie shoulders.

The red arrow points to the area I'm referring to. See the dark spot?



I look closer, and even though it's not incredibly obvious in these pictures, that dark spot is BLOOD! And it's in the same exact spot on both "shoulders!"



I know for sure that he ran into the mirror tonight...he's not very bright sometimes :( I guess that could've caused this to happen.



So I did lots of reading up about bird wounds and I read that as long as the blood clotted (which it did, because obviously there is no dripping) then he should be fine overnight. I also read that birds can bleed to death very easily because if they have underlying issues their blood won't clot, and also because what we think of as a little bit of blood is a lot to a bird!


So I sat with him for about 30-45 minutes (note gloves for his..attitude problem..) and patted his teeny wounds with toilet paper to make extra sure they were clotted and dry. I gave him lots of necks scritchins and a pumpkin seed- his two favorite things.


Even though I know he'll be fine until I can get a vet's opinion, I just hate the thought that this could be hurting him. I am also feeling so flustered because I don't know what this is from!!
So, to help with the anxiety I'm asking any readers out there for moral support/advice/if you've ever seen something like this. ???

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I'm not too familiar with birds. Sry about your karma. I HATE bugs. Although I do love watching Rufus chase bugs around the house. He got the zoomies one time chasing a fly back and forth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. StellaStar: Hahha, yea, Shadow does that too!

    ReplyDelete